Thursday, July 16, 2009

Getting people out to the fights

Getting people to come out to watch our fights is an important part of getting prepared. Boxing doesn’t draw the audiences it used to, so there’s some work to getting attention for it. A couple of other fighters on the card have been working with press this week for the fights July 31st in Saratoga. Guilderland lightweight Mike Faragon (6-0, 2 KOs) is in a tough, six-round fight with a guy from Puerto Rico, Alberto Amaro (5-3, 2 KOs). Brian Miller (3-0-3, 1 KO), a light welterweight from Schenectady and correction officer at Greene Correctional Facility, is fighting Utica’s Manny Cotrich (1-3). Jaci Trivilino (0-1-1), a nationally-ranked amateur from Plattsburgh who trains with us, is fighting a pro debuter from Cleveland, Trish Dedominico. The main event is a great fight, too: the NYS Heavyweight Championship between Darrel Madison (13-1, 3 KOs), Central Islip, and Nagy Aguilera (13-1, 8 KOs), Newburgh.

Shannon: When I get ready to step into the ring people always ask me how does the media attention affect you? I usually tell them that the media and lots of people being there has no effect on me at all. Before the fight, talking to media is all part of getting fans out to support us. When the bell rings, the only thing I think about is there is a man in the other corner trying to get me so I better get him first. When the bell rings, I really don’t hear anything and go into what many people describe as a "zone". I am so focused that the other guy is the only thing I’m aware of in there. You can’t hear people outside the ring screaming most of the time. The only voices I recognize are my father’s, Billy’s and Shawn’s. Most of the other sounds are just garbled noise. There are a few times in the fight where the outside of the ring comes into focus, like when I knock a guy down or when we are tied up in a clinch. In between rounds, you might hear some things, but most of the time during the fight I am so focused that I don’t notice anything outside the ring.

Shawn: Fighting at home in Saratoga is very cool, but it’s really all the same because I still have to just get into the ring and fight one person. I’m sure I’ll be excited because 1) its my pro debut, 2) it will be in front of lots of friends and family and 3) I get to fight with Shannon for the first time. There will be a lot of people there to see us, so I’m going to be a little anxious to get that WIN and start out on the right path. As for dealing with press, I don’t feel pressure at all. I’ve dealt with reporters my whole career in sports, especially when playing at the levels I did for baseball and football. With that said, I really believe boxing is the hardest and most rewarding sport in the world!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home